(Full disclosure: I found this recipe in a recipe book my mother in law made. WOW!)
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (or water)
- 4 medium diced and seeded tomatoes (or 1 – 28 oz can)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- tomatoes sauce 8 oz
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini diced (about 1 large)
- 8 oz tortellini
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- Parmesan Cheese (to top soup)
- Brown sausage in 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat. Remove sausage. but leave drippings.
- Cook onions and garlic in drippings until onions are tender.
- Add sausage, broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, bell pepper, zucchini and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in tortellini, cover and simmer and additional 25 minutes (or until tortellini is tender).
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan Cheese
Yield 8 servings (1 1/2 cup)